Changeling sequencer 1.1 is now available in the App Store!
Included are a lot of the features that have been requested in your reviews and emails:
- MIDI export by e-mail. The MIDI export recording is started by touching the play button in idle mode. Touch the stop button, and the export button will light up.
- Multiple undo and redo, for a more robust saving experience
- Custom soundfont (also for the people that think the default sound is not loud enough :-))
But the big bonus in this version is the new Tracks feature, and all the stuff that comes along with it. I’m pretty pleased with how this is turning out.
You now have 16 layers per sequence available, each one is tied to a MIDI channel (for now). Switch between tracks directly by using the tracks button, or cycle through them by swiping up and down the pattern area. You will see the active color change, also the channel number will update next to the sequence title.
Each track can be configured with its own set of parameters. New basic workflow: start out with recording melody line, transform it to a chord progression, switch to another track in playback mode, start improvising a solo until you hear something you like. Switch back to record mode (while continuing to loop). Hit some keys, undo and redo until you are satisfied.
By default all tracks share the same scale and root note. But you have the option to lock (and unlock) a root note and/or a scale for individual tracks. Try this by doing a longpress gesture on the ribbons, locked steps will be marked by a ‘*’.
This is a pretty cool feature, for it allows you to do a couple of things.
- Improvise like a (basically) trained Jazz musician
- Fix patterns to external channels that shouldn’t change midi notes, such as drum tracks.
- Play out of tune, so use with moderation ;-) But it’s fun to find out what works together and what doesn’t.
Okay, I’m looking forward to hearing new feedback. Hopefully it’s as constructive as with the first version, so that I can continue to improve Changeling Sequencer with your help!